1 | Parkway Central Library


Location: 1901 Vine Street, Philadelphia, PA 19103

ArchitectureBeaux-Arts building designed by Julian Abele, an African American, who worked for Horance Trumbauer's architecture firm.

Opened: June 2, 1927

Ben Franklin Books: 1.5 shelves

SEPTA: Took the 33 bus home.

Have I Been Here Before? Yes


I chose to start my quest at the Central Library.  To my knowledge, it is the largest library in the city and one of two libraries open on Sundays.  I invited a friend and his daughter to join me, which gave me an excuse to hang out in the kids section where I saw this egregious typo.

Coming from homogeneous suburban libraries, I am always impressed by the diversity of books in different languages.

After my visit, I read an article that Alexander Calder's lost bicentennial banners were rediscovered and will be hung back up by summer.  I definitely plan to check those out.

When I lived in Chinatown, I used to go to this library more frequently


Comments